Thursday, March 20, 2008

Getting Ready

I'm getting ready to go canoeing, big time. I've decided to join the 2008 David Thompson Bicentennial Brigade. It's paddling from central Alberta, Rocky Mountain House specifically, to Lake Superior, Old Fort William near Thunder Bay. It's a long ways!

3500 km approximately.

I'll join the Brigade on Day 11 in western Saskatchewan, so I'll only paddle about 2600 km.

YES, I'm training for this. I'm too old to just jump in and hope my body will survive.

First, I'm in training for the Vancouver Sun Run. I lapsed over the summer and fall, so I've had to start over.

and, I'm doing some gym work, mostly upper body and core stuff.

and, I've started paddling already. This is the Lower Mainland of BC. Spring is already here on this first day of spring. The crocuses are almost finished, the daffodils almost out.

Yesterday I had quite a nice day on Whonnock Lake in eastern Maple Ridge. The sun came out for a bit, and the wind was very light to none. Much different than on Monday when it was rain and even small hail.

No comments: