Sunday, March 30, 2008

Perseverance

I'm learning all over again about being outdoors in all kinds of weather. Even though I've trained for the 10 km Vancouver Sun Run, I've managed to almost all of that when it wasn't raining--I HATE running in the rain.

I don't mind so much canoeing in the rain, for some reason. Perhaps because I've done it before. A lot. But I'm having to get used to it again. I've forgotten just what works to keep my feet dry AND warm. I've forgotten the mystical moments when it truly doesn't matter that it's as wet above the canoe as it is under it.

I still don't like paddling in snow--yes, it snowed here a week ago while I was on the water, and I just missed some sleet yesterday.

I'm being reminded as I paddle what it feels like to keep going even though I'd like to quit. And what it feels like the next day when my arms feel like they might drop off. Well, not really, but not like normal either.

I can feel my body getting stronger though, and my paddling rhythm becoming steadier. And dog Lizzie loves coming along for the ride, even if she can't even dog paddle.

No comments: