Monday, April 7, 2008

All the details!

Oh, my, the details!

Getting ready for any big trip means remembering a lot of details. But this one involves being pretty self-reliant for most of the trip, and totally self-reliant for some of it. That means there's no room service, or even a restaurant for the morning coffee. We'll be camping, sometimes with the support of our school bus-turned-RV, sometimes totally canoe camping with what we can carry with us.

And, I am helping us all organize the food. Much of the trip we'll be bus/van supported, and close enough to a grocery store to eat fresh food--except when we will be hosted to supper by a friendly community we're passing through.

So today I am working on the kitchen equipment list, then confirming who can bring what. "Just work" as the Team Leader Ted says, but it is meticulous work. And essential for a smooth running kitchen.

We all know that a good team runs on its stomach! I know I do. Confession time--this is the big reason I volunteered to be the kitchen coordinator--so I could have some say over the food. Not that I plan to cook any more than my share of the time, and I want the others to tell me what to put on the shopping list.

If we eat well, we'll be happy campers.

No comments: